In partnership with the former director of Opelika Main Street and current president of the Opelika Chamber of Commerce, Pam Powers-Smith, I have compiled a list of some of the most interesting aspects of Historic Downtown Opelika.
While some locals are aware of these activities and opportunities, college students and passers-by usually are not.
“Downtown is filled with historical integrity, as most of the buildings are almost 100-years-old,” said Smith, “and the active railroads add to the ambiance in a big way.”
Downtown Opelika has been said to be very easy to maneuver and is genuinely a very welcoming place. If you ever find yourself in downtown Opelika, ask about the “hidden facts” listed below!
1. Community-wide events are hosted quarterly.
- There is always an event for both locals and visitors to enjoy. To name a few, Historic Downtown Opelika hosts “On The Tracks”, a food and wine event; “Easter on the Square”, an event centered around a community-wide Easter egg hunt; and “Christmas on the Square”, a family arts and crafts event. In the rare occasion that an event is not taking place during your visit, there is always music playing and endless fun to be had anywhere in the downtown area.
2. Visitors are welcome to browse through different shops downtown with drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) in-hand.
- Yes, you read that correctly. No need to stuff smelly to-go boxes and watered down drinks in your car. Finish your drinks at your own pace while still being able to enjoy everything that is going on around you. This luxury has been a major staple in the outreach portion of event planning downtown, as it is a huge bonus to most visitors.
3. Red Clay Brewing Company & John Emerald Distilling Company gives tours.
- Want to know the steps that local brewing companies take for the perfect finished product? Take a tour anytime AND feel free to bring your dog! In addition to touring, both places host live music and are open until midnight or later. Being able to enjoy a tour of the facilities without having to leave your pet at home is definitely a time saver and creates an incentive for dog owners.
Historic Downtown Opelika is also home to multiple restaurants with patio dining, spas, a farmer’s market and much more. It’s warm and welcoming aura and one-stop shopping aspect is ideal for all.
Join the Auburn Family! Enroll at Auburn.
Please visit the Future Students page. Also, consider visiting Auburn for a Tour. We want you to join the Auburn Family … so Apply Now.